Colorado Mountaineering Trek 2021
Summary of Objectives:
- To use a rough terrain situation and rough water rafting to test the endurance of wounded/injured veterans that have PTSD/TBI or wear prosthetic limbs.
- To assess the impact of small group interaction in a demanding outdoors environment on mental health and the viability of various prosthetic devices in rough terrain.
Summary of Challenge:
The Holy Cross Wilderness of central Colorado will be the location of CWVC’s August 2020 mountain adventure challenge. The wilderness is characterized by rugged ridgelines and glacier-carved valleys, spruce-fir forests, cascading streams and dozens of lakes; elevations range from 8,500 feet to over 14,000 feet.
The challenge will base out of Salida, Colorado. Two days will be spent acclimating to the 8500 ft elevation before starting the challenge trek. The Holy Cross Wilderness is within the Sawatch Mountain Range. The plan is to spend 5 nights in the wilderness before heading back to Salida for a day of relaxation and whitewater rafting.
Our preliminary schedule will be:
- 21 August: Travel to Colorado
- 22 August: Gear review, local fishing
- 23 August: Salida area hike
- 24-29 August: Trek
- 30 August: Whitewater rafting
- 31 August: Travel home
- Will be added during challenge