Colorado Trek 2019
Multi-day trek into the Holy Cross Wilderness (HCW) of Colorado.
Summary of trip – Travel to Denver/ Colorado Springs. Participant pick-up and drive to Salida, Colorado for altitude acclimation, gear issue and fly-fishing familiarization (2 nights). Travel 2 hours to HCW with kayaks and packs. 5 days and nights ingressing the wilderness area with kayaks and then carrying 50 lb backpacks between 10,000 and 13,000 ft above sea level. Objectives include high-elevation lake fly-fishing and summiting the adjacent peaks. Egress on August 10th. Travel home.
To study TBI and Post Traumatic Stress during this mountaineering and fly fishing trek.
- After the challenge: “The experience and growth I have walked thru with CWVC has brought about much to ponder. After each event my desire to serve the organization and fellow veterans and families grows.”
- After the challenge: “I personally struggled with identity when I was leaving the service. My identity was rooted in what I did. CWVC has absolutely given me the ability to connect with my purpose as a man and leader in this life.”
- During a break on the trail: “It wasn’t so long ago that I tried to end my life. Being invited to participate with CWVC has saved my life. It sparked a new view of what I could do in my future. I am so grateful…”
- Around the campfire: “Since leaving the Army two years ago, I have felt lost. I love my family but being out on the trail with these guys reconnects me to the man I want to be.”
- During a steep hiking section: “This trail is kicking my #&^$%! I forgot how much I loved doing this!”
- Driving to the airport after the challenge: “Being in the mountains with you guys was exactly what I needed! Thanks so very much!”